Thursday, January 24, 2013

We All Got "The Sex Talk" Didn't We?


Everyone’s seen at least one of the many scenes in movies and TV shows where the nervous kid experiencing the first signs of puberty listens with a mixture of horror and curiosity to a parent’s awkward explanation of “the birds and the bees.” It is a mainstream assumption throughout America that every good parent initiates this session of warning and fact giving to prepare their child for the complexities of the sex-filled world we live in. But is this assumption true? And if it is in some cases true, what kind of parent-to-child communication is most often taking place surrounding the topic of sex? What other resources do most kids turn to when the sex communication line is not initiated by a parental figure?

            The other day I had a conversation with four or five of my close friends about our parents’ openness in communicating with us about sex and sex education during middle school and high school. Someone asked whether the rest of us had been given “The Talk” by one or both of our parents. Coming from fairly liberal households and family values that stressed building deep and meaningful relationships with our parents, we were all a little surprised to learn that none of us had really built any form of open conversations about sex with our parents. In fact, that, with the exception of the occasional warning to make sure the parents of our boyfriends or girlfriends parents were home, or to keep our bedroom doors open when a significant other was visiting, we had not learned anything we now know about the complexity of navigating sex life directly from our parents.
            A fair amount of research has been done on the different kinds of sex education middle and high school kids are getting in the U.S. and the effects that a variety of communication types has had on the health of a young person’s sex life. While almost every public high school requires it’s students to take a sexual education class before graduating, many of the programs kids are exposed to use a limited set of scare tactics to indorse abstinence and paint a picture of sex as deviant and bad prior to having a stable relationship or marriage. It is rare, today, to find a high school class setting in which teens learn the extent of the rights they have over their own bodies, are adequately informed about contraceptives, are fostered in developing a sense of self-worth and healthy desire, and are encouraged to question the figure of knowledge and authority in the room. 

            So, if this healthy environment of learning and communicating is not being created in schools, it is even more crucial that it be a part of teen’s relationships with their parental figures. A study reported by USA Today stated that of the 2,000 parents questioned about the number of times they have talked with their teens about sex, almost 50% said they talked with their kids very regularly. However, when the teens, themselves, were questioned only about 25% agreed with their parent’s answer. The remaining kids questioned felt that their parents rarely or never addressed topics of sexuality, and that even when they did it was only to advise against all forms of sexual activity. Studies have also shown that when positive lines of communication are opened between kids and their parental figures, teens are less likely to suffer negative psychological experiences related to sexual interactions. Having a rounded base of knowledge about the many dimensions of sex from someone under their own roof also gives teens a valuable resource that helps prevent them from making sexual decisions backed only by peer pressure or friend advice.

             A recent article in often-read Seventeen Magazine took a different approach to bridging the gap between parents and kids and creating conversations about sex. The article, aimed at an audience between 12 and 17, suggests that if you are a teen feeling frustrated, or wishing to communicate with your parents about problems you are having or questions you need answered, you (the teen) should take the first steps to opening up these doors. Seventeen goes on to lay out a complete week-by-week guide to introducing sex as a topic of constructive and two-way conversation with your parents.
             
            There are also many resources available advising parents on the best ways to talk with their children about sex. These resources offer suggest initiating conversations that feel open, inviting and comfortable, rather than the awkward and tense explanation of human body parts and the origin of babies. Communication about sex with parents can be a crucial and shaping part of a person’s early exploration of a sex life. First and foremost, conversations about sex between parents and teens must happen more often, but in addition, in a way that does not feel accusatory or belittling to the child.

-Hannah B. 
  
Sources:

How Parents, Teens Talk About Sex

This article reported on a study done on frequency and content of communication between parents adn their teenage children about sex and sex education. 

Talking To Your Parents About Sex

"Seventeen" offers an article urging teens to open lines of communication with their parents and offers suggestions for initiating conversations about sex-related topics.

Communication About Sexual Issues: Mothers, Fathers, and Friends

Science Direct reports a study done evaluating the role that gender plays in parent-child conversations about sex, as well as the role that peers play in an adolescent's sex education.

The Talk Image

Cartoon Image

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cartoons+of+birds+and+bees+talk&um

5 comments:

  1. You make a really good point about how often parents talk about sex with their kids and how extensive those conversations are. I think it is especially interesting that in the USA Today study, 50% of parents claimed that they had spoken to their kids about sex, but only 25% of kids agreed. In my own experience with my parents, I felt like I could approach them if I wanted to and they would be open to discussing sexuality with me, but they didn't ever really directly address it. And in reality, I don't think many kids are comfortable initiating that conversation on their own. I can see, however, that in a situation similar to mine, the parents could believe that they've addressed sexuality, while the kids' opinions could differ.

    Creating an open environment in which families can easily discuss sexuality is very important in making sure that kids can feel comfortable with their own sexuality. It may just be part of the solution, in addition to someone actually initiating the conversation to get the ball rolling.

    -Colin K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the stats you presented were really interesting. I also feel like was raised in a relatively liberal environment, but I never received any sort of "sex talk" from either of my parents. Occasionally, during one of my relationships, my mom has made very subtle comments about making sure that I take my virginity seriously and that I'm having safe and healthy relationships. She's never out right given me some sort of sex lecture, but she's been very open about her experiences as a teenager and we have sort of a mutual understanding of each other without ever going in depth about anything. I learned most about sex and relationships from my health classes in high school. I think the reason I had such a positive sexual education is that I took all female health classes, and so the environment was much more comfortable. We talked about the biology behind sex, but also about healthy relationships, rape, body image, and self-confidence. We learned about both abstinence and practicing safe sex, but I'm still happy that I chose to take the female health class option in high school.

    Nothing against my parents, but I think I'll probably be more open about sex discussions with my kids. Schools do a pretty descent job teaching kids about the biology behind sex, but I think it would be beneficial for parents to discuss the emotions behind sex with their children as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I believe I mentioned in class, I am completely open with my parents about sexuality, and it's great! Regardless of what they have said to me, their openness to the conversation has definitely helped me grow comfortable with my sexuality. It has offered me a more mature point of view on topics that I was unsure about, and it helped me to know that I could talk to them during the psychological distress of a break up. Parents should make it clear that they are available for information and support.

    It seems that you take a negative tone toward abstinence only sexual education. I agree with common criticism of the abstinence only method. That is, some kids are going to have sex regardless, and so they should be informed about methods of contraception. However, I also feel that the methods sexual education on the other end of the spectrum could learn something from abstinence only programs. My school taught us biology, methods of contraception, and about STDs. While STDs are a deterrent from sex, I wish that there were more discussion on the benefits of abstinence, or at least more discussion of waiting for the right time. I believe that the peer pressure to have sex at a young age should be counteracted by a classroom discussion on the benefits of waiting to have sex.

    -Charlie D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has always been completely honest with me about sex. She tried to preach the whole "sex is for marriage" thing when I was younger, but as I grew up, she gave me the "real" talk. I will always appreciate my mother for that and I plan to be the same way with my children. I think that being completely open and honest with your children makes them open and honest with their parents. It gives them the confidence to assert their sexuality and be proud of the person they are. It should be the same way in sexual education classes.

    Abstaining is a way, but it is not the only way. That is why I believe that teaching a "well-rounded" sexual education class will give students the confidence to choose which route is best for them. By a well-rounded curriculum, that includes the teaching of all kinds of sex, ways to prevent STDs and STIs, being comfortable with sexuality, sex and body image, etc... I think this kind of lesson plan empowers students and gives them a better sense of self.

    ReplyDelete